ARRL East Bay Section

California Ham Plate Issue Resolved

Posted by af6aq on February 6th, 2008

The State of California, Department of Motor Vehicles, has the following information on their website:
Amateur Radio (HAM) License Plates
These plates are issued, upon request, to holders of Federal Communication Commission (FCC) amateur radio station licenses. The alpha-numeric series reflects the call letters assigned by the FCC (Vehicle Code section 5005 and Revenue and Taxation Code sections 10751, 10752).
If you have Amateur Radio (HAM) License Plates that have spaces between the numbers or letters and you would like plates without the spaces follow this link to the application. Complete the application and a Statement of Facts indicating that you wish to retain the old plates until the new plates arrive, at which time you will properly destroy the old plates. Mail both documents to the address on the bottom of the application form. No fees are required.

If you have questions or concerns regarding your Amateur Radio (HAM) license plates, please call Customer Communications at (916) 657-6560. 


When you go to the DMV website, you will be able to click on the links to receive a PDF of the indicated application form, and the Statement of Facts form, which you can print and mail to DMV for obtaining replacements for your current plates that contain spaces.  Future applications for Amateur Radio call sign plates will result in the receipt of plates with no spaces.


ARRL Pacific Division
Director: Robert Vallio, W6RGG